Friday, December 17, 2010

Ugly Face....another one of THOSE times

Had another run-in with a person who felt she had to yell and my son and me on a plane as I had to take his Thomas backpack and place it into an overhead bin. It upset Garrett. And it is a miracle I am not blogging from a cell.....somehow God gave me composure. And this poem would not let me sleep last night until it was out here in the world. Feel free to share it if you believe it might make someone think twice before they speak.....

Ugly Face
Clara-Leigh Evans
December 2010

I wonder how you would feel
if while you helped your son,
someone got into your face
and pointed out your little one.

This brave and special little boy
whose Thomas backpack was put up high
until the plane reached cruising altitude,
so he cried, "Why, mommy, why?"

Did you think about anyone but you
when you rudely singled us out
and made a spectacle of yourself
with not a comment, but a shout?

"YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR CHILD TO BE QUIET!!!"
You yelled at us both in disgust
while other passengers passed us by
with very little fuss.

We are on this plane by miracle alone
and by God's own grace, you see.
At one point we were told by doctors
my son might not live to be three.

He has a scary disease,
and he cannot help himself.
His mind and body sometimes lurch out of control
with nothing we can do to help.

But here we are defying the odds
flying cross country today,
very happy to make this long, long trip
to see family far away.

Rest assured when this plane lands tonight
our family's smiles will be all I see,
and your grumpy,
selfish,
unhappy,
miserable,
arrogant,
rude,
inconsiderate,
negative,
judgmental,
critical,
incompassionate,
scornful,
angry,
ugly face will be but a speck of dust to me!

There, I feel all better now!!
Godspeed!
CL

2 comments:

  1. Very well put! Wish I could be with you on the return flight to run interference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Keep a copy in your pocket, next time someone behaves badly, you can hand it over and tell them to have a nice day, you will pray for them.

    ReplyDelete