Thursday, July 14, 2011

Garrett Gave ME a Gift For His Birthday!!!!

Garrett's sixth birthday is Sunday.
I have pondered what to do for his special day, what type of cake to order or make, and where we might go. But truthfully, I am at a loss on so much of it. I feel like keeping things simple with our household, Grouchy's mom and our niece who are in town for the week, and maybe some of the people who help us care for him. But then I feel guilty not inviting the classmates from his special needs school. I am sure I will figure it all out.....soon!!!

Meanwhile, I had a very, very, very special moment with my little dude this morning. I left the house to run errands a little while before I needed to pick up Grouchy's mom and our niece, Sarah. I was heading out into the garage from the house, telling Garrett to go back inside and then go find my mom, Nina. He headed back into the house, then stopped and said in the cheeriest little voice, "I love you, Mom!" He has really never said this unprompted. He will just recently return an "I love you," sometimes, but usually has to be prompted to return it. But today, just out of the blue, it really hit me!! It was so precious, sweet, and yes, even meaningful! Sometimes he says it in return but it is just dry and planned, like just repeating us. But he really decided to say it first!!! Then, just when I was in amazement and ready to turn around and walk back to him and pick him up and eat him for lunch because he was so dang cute, he went even further. He said, "Wait, Mom, I need to give you a great big HUG!!" And he ran to me and threw his little 40 pound (yes, he is finally gaining again!!) self into my arms and gave me some very sweet time.

That's it. That's all I need for another year of parenting Garrett. That was like a huge bonus during a slim company year, finding a surprise $100 bill in a coat pocket in the fall, or just, well, just gratifying, fulfilling and wonderful. My emotional tank was filled!! I enjoyed getting this gift from my little man just before his sixth birthday. Thank you, Garrett. I love you too!!!

Godspeed to each of you and prayers for the Mito families and friends, especially the family of angel princess Eithene.
Clara-Leigh

2 comments:

  1. Awww! That is wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Garrett is an amazing, so dang cute, determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. He is such a special and precious, earthly angel. I am so happy that it was a special moment for Garrett and you, and I hope you have many more special moments with him. I was born with a rare life threatening disease,and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete