Sunday, January 14, 2024

Transition to Adult Residential-Style

 Garrett is 18 years old. 




Wow.

Cannot believe I get to type this!

So many things have occurred, and I’d like to outline them all in great detail, but I feel it’s time to dial back now that he is an adult and has the right to decide if and how HE wants to tell his story. I will share some absolutely monumental happenings that I know he is proud of, then I will likely be pretty scarce here, even more than the past several years.

If you need evidence of God’s providence and power in a person’s life on earth, stick around here for about a minute and you’ll see it first-hand.

Early in 2023, Garrett advocated for his appendicostomy tube to be removed. His extraordinary pediatric GI listened, gave him instructions to follow for 6 months and if he followed her direction exactly and didn’t have to be flushed for 6 months, she would remove the tube. He won!!!

Soon after that he advocated for his g-tube to be removed for good, the GI gave him very specific goals of weight and finishing growth hormone and HE DID IT! No more g-tube.

Then this week he began a residential adult transition program in Connecticut!!! He seems to be the happiest guy surrounded by “FRIENDS” like him who are all moving forward gaining skills for adult independent living and employment!!! Hardest thing I ever did was leave him there, but that was all selfish mom stuff!

I’ll share a few pics, then if anyone wants more info on the program he is doing on the East Coast, email me at Aaejgmom@gmail.com, and I’m happy to reply and share!

God is good! It’s been a very challenging 18 years for our son, but he is a hero and the bravest, kindest soul I know. There’s always some kind of hope even if we screech right up to what seems to be complete hopelessness. I stand in gratitude and awe of our son.

Photos are from day one at his residential adult transition program, or his “college!”

Thank you for taking time to peek into our journey. Happy to be a resource on the experiences we have had if we can ever help others.

Rock on, Garrett, and welcome to being an adult. You’ve got this!!

Clara-Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment